Saturday, December 6, 2008

Where to start? How about breakfast...

For a couple of years now, we've been starting almost every day with a smoothie. We make our own yogurt (instructions to come for those that are interested!) to use as a base. To that we add a banana for a smooth texture, frozen berries, and spinach to top it off. I know what you're thinking, "Spinach in a smoothie? Gross". Hear me out, we're always looking for ways to increase the amount of greens in our diet and this is a sneaky way to get them without even tasting it. The taste of the fruit overpowers the more subtle spinach flavor and you get all the extra vitamins and minerals. Spinach is a true 'superfood' with so many health benefits it's ridiculous. Here's our basic and fast smoothie recipe, feel free to substitute with any fruit you have on hand:

Quick & Easy Smoothie

2 Cups Yogurt
1 Banana
1 Cup Frozen Berries
Spinach

Fill blender with yogurt as your base for easiest blending, then add the fruit and spinach. Start with a small handful, then increase the amount of spinach to your liking. This is a thick smoothie, if you like it thinner, add water, coconut water, hemp/almond milk, or juice. Serves 2.

This is a great way to start a healthy day. It helps us with our eating decisions the rest of the day. If we're off to a good start, we don't want to ruin our progress!

5 comments:

meleea said...

i make that shake for my family a couple times a week, but i don't think i could sneek the spinach in there. i do put in a protein powder and peanut butter though - does that count?

like your new blog - love the name!

Trish said...

we make smmothies here all the time too! and I am able to get the spinach in no problem, my kids don't even notice any flavor difference and they know that I put it in there.

I would LOVE to know how to make yogurt!

Welcome to blogland!

kenz said...

we want the yogurt recipe. eason eats it like it's going out of style.

Lee Ann said...

So excited to read more. I even have a yogurt maker...in storage now because I didn't use it. I think I'm ready. :-) I'm on a very slow train backwards. One thing at a time. Can't wait to get some spinach in my smoothie. We have a serious "green thing" short fall in this house.

Lee Ann said...

Just wanted you to know I snuck in the spinach this morning and they ALL drank it! Even the hubby who knew what was in it. Amazing. I gave Anna a big high five when she was done and said "you just drank your veggies." I made this huge deal out of it and she was actually excited. Thanks for the tip and looking forward to more.